Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Another reason to be a lawyer...

Maybe days like today are good for me in the long run. It was a frustrating day, culminating in me cussing and swearing under my breath about one particularly pig-headed attorney, and all of humanity in general. Fighting battles on every front, I come home to spend another hour doing paperwork. How could this day get any better?

Let me tell you how. After the kids were down for the night, I changed my clothes and set the treadmill timer for one hour. I ran forty-five minutes last night, and just wanted to see how much more further I could go before nearing collapse. Started okay - spaced out thinking about this one case, got fired up AGAIN over the conversation with opposing counsel, went over a million possible responses in my head, and counted the songs on my Ipod, all while trying to remember to breathe evenly, and not push myself too hard for fear of an injury - got kinda bumpy in the middle because I wanted to check the timer but did not want to know - and then it was over! Five miles in one hour - a new personal record for both time and distance! And I have my pig-headed opposing counsel to thank for at least two miles of that ~ reliving that argument took my mind of my run/the infamous timer/ect.

I definitely feel better than if I had just gone to bed irritated. I hope I can get into a habit of running when I am frustrated - I have definitely had some less positive responses in the recent past (eating comfort food being the one that jumps right to mind), and I highly doubt my work will magically become less stressful at any point in the foreseeable future. Well it is time for my shower ~ and maybe one more victory dance past my treadmill :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment